Video of The Herb Farm, Chester Twp NJ - Real Estate Homes for Sale
For more information visit http://www.turpinrealtors.com/property/32791857/55-State-Park-Rd-Chester-Twp.-NJ-07930-3216 "From the day The Herb Farm sign hung on its cedar post announcing that luncheon, tea and supper might be obtained within, the story partakes of the miraculous." So wrote philanthropist and socialite, Elizabeth Donnell Kay, in her memoir detailing her adventurous transformation of an abandoned circa 1750's stone barn into what would become a widely known restaurant and thriving herb retail business. Acreage, including a barn with stone walls three-feet thick, had been purchased by Elizabeth and her husband, Alfred, in 1937 as an adjunct to their 300 acre country estate along the Black River. Already much fascinated with herbs, Mrs. Kay soon conceived of restoring the barn for use as a restaurant, entitling it "The Herb Farm". Promoted by radio show host Martha Deane and featured in Duncan Hines' Adventures in Good Eating, the restaurant came to serve as many as 275 diners a day. Growing in surrounding fields were the herbs which became the basis for the restaurant's flavorful meals and spurred a mail order business that saw the Farm's annual yield of 13,000 plants shipped as far as Japan. With the death of its owners, The Herb Farm was parceled off from the main estate. The restaurant and almost 6 acres were sold as a residence while the barns and land belonging to Mrs. Kay were gifted to the State in preservation as the Elizabeth Kay Environmental Center. Inherent to the legacy of Chester Township, The Herb Farm has been featured in historic chronicles including: "The Somerset Hills: Chester Then and Now" and "Images of America: Chester." Historic photos of The Herb Farm can also be spotted at Chester's Town Hall and on post cards in local venues — introducing the lately arrived to what once was. No less miraculous is The Herb Farm's transformation from a storied landmark to a luxurious residence. Purchased in 2010 by its present owners, Hiland Hall Turner, Architects was trusted with providing restorative design and a sensitive expansion. Today the home comprises twelve rooms including five bedrooms, and four full and two half baths. Original stone walls provide the framework for interiors inspired by the 16th century estates of England and France. Groin vaults, barreled ceilings, chestnut and oak beams, wood-burning fireplaces, marble and walnut flooring, mahogany casement windows and doors infuse a grand European milieu. Complete radiant floor heating, designer kitchen including a La Cornue range, marble baths and master suite with balcony and custom dressing room are but some of the home's many indulgent features. Outdoors, stone walls frame the David Austin English rose garden and anchor the crushed stone terrace. Set in the meadow lawn is a stone tea house. Legal rental structures on the grounds include a charming one bedroom cottage and a carriage house with two bedroom apartment and three-car garage.